Sunday 4 November 2007

Castle Ashby

This morning, I had fun walking and taking photographs at Castle Ashby Estate. When plowing uphill from the Bedford Road, I said Hello to the sheep. Not that they responded! The woolies were too busy munching grass. Delicious lamb chops come to mind. Don’t get me wrong here, I’m almost a vegetarian. It’s the not quite I enjoy.

There’s so much more to observe when walking. Castle Ashby House, was used by the BBC for some scenes in the dramatisation of Nancy Mitford’s novel:
"Love In A Cold Climate."


cashbygard

My niece works for the BBC. She’s constantly scouting around for suitable locations. There’s nothing glamorous to that. She can be on location at 4-30 in the morning. She does get to work with some well known actors. I swooned… when she made a programme with Colin Firth. Mr Darcy himself of Pride and Prejudice. That man oozed sensuality from his pores, even when being aloof. That was the hook for women all over the UK. I hadn’t been long back from the Middle East, when Darcy mania swept the country.

Four Chimneys Castle Ashby Estate
hcastleashby3

In my more youthful years, I was never much of a reader of romance novels. Mr Darcy the classic, tall dark brooding, handsome hero. Thankfully, not Heathcliffe. I don’t recall Jane Austen described Darcy's physical features with any detail. Which is just as well really, readers fill those in for their selves. That is one of the boons of reading, we engage our imaginations.

In the garden the geraniums were in flower. Through scented twilight the girl in the white dress walked with a step as light as a morning cobweb. That evening she hadn’t a care in the world.” William Trevor~
My House in Umbria.

Doesn’t that make you want to know more about the girl? Trevor alludes teasing the reader. No detail other than that one beautiful line. Before reading the book I saw the film, staring Maggie Smith. She’s been a favourite since her role as Miss Jean Brodie. Mostly playing eccentric characters, Maggie Smith delivers those with elegant aplomb.

Well, I must pop back to Castle Ashby later this week. Weather permitting, I'd like to take photographs of the village. I've been testing my new Nikon DSLR. There's also a very nice pub there, the Falcon Hotel. The next picture a happy accident. Please be assured, you do not have double vision. (Chuckles)


Garden Entrance For? Oops~Twins!
casharch041casharch041



No comments: