Friday 9 November 2007

Nordic Walking

Using walking poles has proven to be tremendously beneficial. It’s not a quick fix either. Regular walking is required to build up core body muscle. I researched this carefully before buying poles. I’m presently using Excel light-weight carbon trainers. Those are designed for Nordic Walking. There is a big range of poles to choose from on the internet. Walking shoes also require some research. It is best to try a range for comfort in a store first. You can always go to the internet for a better deal after doing that. I made the mistake of buying first from the net. Those shoes blistered my heels.

The two places where we spend most of our time: are in our shoes and in bed. Think about that! I settled for Zamberlan walking shoes from a local store. I had the option of wearing those around the house first. If they hadn't been right for my feet I could return them. The Zamberlan roll me forward so comfortably. I'm not suggesting those would suit everyone. The best site for NW information and gear is here at blogspot.
Nordic Walking USA.

Socks, well again, research those. Socks should be lightweight with reinforced heel and toe sections. Ideally, wear those when testing new walking shoes/trainers. You may find you need shoes a half size bigger. What walkers don’t want are blisters or soggy feet. So really, the socks worn are also important for comfort.

After a walk I feel invigorated. And must confess, initially, felt awkward when people stared at me when using the poles. I could be setting a trend in the village. Several people have asked me why I walk with those. If you’re the only person in the neighbourhood doing this, it’s a nice way to influence others. I have observed people walking their dogs, tend to chat with others doing likewise. So it seems to me, walking with poles can also have social benefits. The brief kind of chat, which makes one feel less of a stranger.

I decided to learn from a trainer, to be sure of doing this the right way. The NW health benefits are amazing. I’ll be walking in Scotland next year, beautiful scenery with great walking trails. Of course, the camera will go with me. Nordic walking has renewed my passion for photography.

lm01The rose photo was taken after a summer shower with a Fuji-S6500fd camera. I’m thrilled with the new NikonD40x DSLR. I had actually considered Canon or Pentax. It wasn’t easy making a decision.The Nikon features and the price swayed me. Nikon UK has cashback for a limited period. With a two year free warranty thrown in, a deal too good to miss.

No comments: